Welcome To My Thoughts

Welcome To My Thoughts

Thursday, March 31, 2011

How To Avoid Online Scams

I wanted to talk about this briefly because I'm tired of my friends and family wasting money on useless scams. 99.9% of the time anything online that seems too good to be true, is too good to be true. People who are either uninformed or just plain careless, click on everything haphazardly and end up giving personal information to marketing organizations. My family and friends CONSTANTLY do this and then I hear them complain about telemarketers and spam. Where do you think the telemarketers and spam are coming from? Oh that's right, the 200 websites and phony sweepstakes you signed up for, gave your phone number/address/social security number (just kidding). But seriously only provide information to legitimate organizations, I really cannot stress this enough. Also avoid signing up for stock tip newsletters even if it is $20 for a year, those are all garbage scams that just try to get you to spend more money on other newsletters and sign you up for automatic billing without you even knowing.

14 comments:

  1. The easiest way is to be awake and use google as an resource to find out if the site is trustful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. good advice i would also have to agree with Thomas Magnussen as well

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey man, I know exactly what you are talking about. Keep up this good work

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoever falls for online scams usually knows nothing about business sadly. My favorite is hearing about those people who buy into the "I'M LEAVING MY FORTUNE TO YOUUUUU!!!" emails. I know a guy in person who actually fell for one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for these tips, Normally it is common sense but sometimes scammers are tricky.

    ReplyDelete
  6. omg a Nigerian prince still needs my help though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. To be honest, I always facepalmed whenever my grandparents said they got a virus from an ad or something. It seems so obvious to us, but I guess it isn't for some other generations.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I got a phone call the other day, telling me I won a lincoln navigator. I would never want that beast of a vehicle, and certainly never entered to win one. Then the catch, they didn't want anybody under 28 years old (you know, when you HAVE money to steal)

    ReplyDelete
  9. thank you for the info followed

    ReplyDelete
  10. I use AVG link scanner and block everything with NoScript - that's pretty much a safe way of being scamed - not 100%

    ReplyDelete